Therefore, here is what we started with on the last day:
- Almost no mulch on the main pathway
- Moved lining logs
- A large pile of silt and mulch (from the playground and the upper regions of the project) at the bottom of the hill
- Large tire tracks from the DPW vehicles
- Enough left-over mulch (hopefully) to help restore some of the damage and create another area.
After raking some of the mulch from the sides of the main path in towards the middle, we focused on identifying the main source of the water. What we determined was that most of the water from the playground would have followed it's normal route to the stream between Hilltop School and Hilltop Church, however one of the lining logs had caught a lot of mulch and clogged the pathway to the stream. This funneled much of the water down the path of least resistance: the OWLZ main trail. Thankfully this could be fixed easily, by removing the lining log in the way of the water and digging two drainage ditches, the water problem was fixed.
We also mulched a new classroom area (to replace the classroom destroyed by the water and silt) and changed the shape of the path using the left-over mulch from the other piles.